Protect your assets and bottom line
Businesses are under constant pressure to stay profitable. Discover solutions that go beyond traditional insurance coverage with strategic captive planning. Captives allow you to pay premiums to insurance affiliates — earning investment income and underwriting profits. Gain greater control over your business insurance costs, while improving long-term results and maximize your opportunity for potential tax benefits.
Our extensive experience provides the financial strength and expertise to meet your unique insurance requirements. Together, we can build long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships.
A protective partnership
Solutions for complex risks
Work with an experienced partner to manage risk through a captive arrangement for your business. Backed by a team of dedicated, collaborative underwriting specialists, we offer a full suite of captive services to address even the most complex risk control concerns:
- Captive fronting solutions for workers compensation, commercial general liability, commercial auto, commercial property, and specialty lines
- Easy access to our segregated cell rent-a-captives
- Third-party administrator (TPA) services from Helmsman Management Services (HMS)
- Reinsurance solutions for healthcare captives
- Captive management solutions from our independent Liberty Mutual Management group
Our tailored solutions are backed by our accompanied services, including account management, stewardship, technological expertise, and more.
With the resources and financial stability of a Fortune 100 company, our solutions-driven underwriting experts help develop a flexible, personalized captive fronting structure that meets your specific business needs. Captive fronting arrangements include:
- Single parent and group captives: From workers compensation to liability, property, and more, we provide tailored captive fronting programs on commercial property and casualty lines across all types of businesses.
- Rent-a-captives: Access many of the same benefits that captives offer while potentially lowering your operating costs through a segregated cell rent-a-captive. Creating a rent-a-captive cell minimizes the upfront administrative and legal costs of establishing your own version — allowing easier access to the financial benefits of it. By removing obstacles to entry, this can be a stepping stone to a single parent or group captive in the future.
- Healthcare captive reinsurance solutions: We offer reinsurance to healthcare captives providing:
- PL/GL for hospitals, long-term care facilities, and miscellaneous medical facilities and physician groups
- E&O and D&O for managed care organizations
- Product liability for life sciences
- Medical stop loss
Some of current customers include:
- Fortune 100 global logistics provider
- One of the largest general contractors in the country with more than 5,000 employees
- Publicly traded retail real estate company
- Healthcare provider with 35 accredited sites and more than 300,000 patients
- Commercial cleaning franchise with more than 120 offices in 10 countries and more than 9,000 franchisees
Go beyond business as usual to easily access a comprehensive product set and the global capabilities suited to meet the needs of midsize and large, complex risks.
Liberty Mutual Management, a stand-alone unit within Liberty Mutual Insurance, provides our captive customers with experienced, tailored support for their programs. We support insurance and reinsurance for workers compensation, general liability, commercial auto, property, life, and other niche programs.
Together, we can help you form new companies, activate old captives, and manage a wide range of companies that use different fronts for a variety of programs. When you work with us, you’ll have access to our strong professional relationships with local and international lawyers, bankers, auditors, and government bodies to ensure your captive runs smoothly — backed by experience that comes with more than $1 billion in annual premium.
Learn more about our services:
TPA claims services from Helmsman
We provide a wide array of captive solutions, leveraging our expertise across Liberty Mutual and Helmsman to best benefit your business. Helmsman has the strength and resources to provide you with experienced third-party administration, including:
- Claims management, managed care, and risk control services for fronted and self-insured programs
- Programs for workers compensation, general liability, auto, property, and specialty lines.
- The ability to work with a carrier of your choice, thanks to our relationships with leading property and casualty insurers
This website is intended to be informational. Descriptions are provided only as a summary outline of the products and services available and are not intended to be comprehensive and do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation. The products and services described may not be available in all states or jurisdictions. See your policy, service contract, or program documentation for actual terms, conditions, and exclusions. Any inquiries regarding the subject matter set forth herein should be directed through licensed insurance professionals.
Coverage and insurance are provided and underwritten by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company or its affiliates or subsidiaries. When we offer insurance products, we will state clearly which insurer will underwrite the policy. Some policies may be placed with a surplus lines insurer. Surplus lines insurers generally do not participate in state guaranty funds and coverage may only be obtained through duly licensed surplus lines brokers.