Workplace violence is not new, but a powerful combination of circumstances has led to a troubling uptick in violent incidents at health care facilities across the country.
Drivers of violence
- COVID-19 certainly has both exacerbated existing sources of violence and opened new areas of confrontation between health care providers, patient families and the general public.
- The opioid crisis has increased drug theft that can turn violent.
- A shortage of mental health resources means more patients wind up in crisis in hospital ERs.
- Long waits and overcrowding in healthcare facilities can trigger fear and exacerbate aggravation.
- Behavioral health units and long term care facilities are at the most increased risk. In fact, perpetrators most commonly have a diagnosis of psychosis, substance-use disorders, or dementia, often aggravated by a lack of resources.5
- Long-term care facilities’ resource constraints and dementia diagnoses present challenges
- Emergency departments’ open access increases external risk
- Home health and community outreach settings are often uncontrollable
How can we help?
As your insurance partner, we will step up to help you recover quickly, making sure you have access to a range of resources and in-depth support, including:
- Claims handlers experienced in violent event response protocols
- Grief counseling resources to help employees, patients, and residents cope
- Public relations expertise to manage reputational damage
Work with experienced partners.
At Liberty Mutual and Ironshore, we’re committed to helping you every step of the way, starting with advice and resources.
Contact your underwriter today to make your workplace safer and minimize your risk.
Download our complete workplace violence guide
and put a plan in place to minimize risk.
8 Workplace Violence in Healthcare: Understanding the Challenge (osha.gov) https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/OSHA3826.pdf
This website is general in nature, and is provided as a courtesy to you. Information is accurate to the best of Liberty Mutual’s knowledge, but companies and individuals should not rely on it to prevent and mitigate all risks as an explanation of coverage or benefits under an insurance policy. Consult your professional advisor regarding your particular facts and circumstance. By citing external authorities or linking to other websites, Liberty Mutual is not endorsing them.