Designers and contractors professional liability
Protection for construction professionals
Design-build contractors rely on experience, industry best practices, and a deep commitment to quality to succeed on their projects. But as the design and construction phases of projects become more integrated, design-build contractors need the right coverage to protect against professional liability exposures that come with this type of work.
Our designers and contractors professional liability (DCPL) solutions help protect design-build contractors against legal, financial, and reputational risk arising from their construction projects.
A protective partnership
Solutions for complex risks
Design-build contractors shoulder many responsibilities, from initial client meetings and document production to completing construction within the allocated time and budget. With so many moving parts, even simple projects can expose contractors to an array of liability risks – and to claims that can damage finances and reputation.
Our DCPL solutions can help provide this protection, with coverage options including:
- Primary limits: $5M for risks with $500M or less gross revenue
- Excess limits: Up to $10M available on accounts
Additional solutions include:
- Designers and contractors professional and pollution liability (DCP2). This coverage combines DCPL with contractors pollution liability on a claims-made basis, covering contractors liability, contractors pollution liability, and pollution mitigation. Occurrence pollution is also available.
- Owners protected and professional indemnity (OPPI). Offers added protection to the owner over the design professionals’ or contractors’ professional liability policies. OPPI policies help safeguard project owners against damages resulting from first– and third-party claims of negligence when the design professionals’ or contractors’ primary policies are unable to respond fully to a judgment because of exhausted or insufficient limits of insurance.
- Project-specific professional liability coverage. This policy provides dedicated limits for the design team and/or the design-build contractor.
Whether it’s for a single project or multiple mega-projects over the course of years, every policy is backed by the strength and stability of a Fortune 100 company.
Expertise that delivers
We are uniquely positioned to provide tailored and innovative DCPL solutions to help protect firms involved in a variety of project delivery methods, including:
- Design assist
- Integrated project delivery
- Public-private partnerships
- Traditional design-bid-build
Our approach involves early review of the project type, participants’ relationships, and the project delivery method. We also identify the associated loss trends and risk scenarios that accompany different project types and tailor coverage and risk–management services for each project-specific policy.
Count on us to help protect your company and its employees, projects, finances, and reputation.
Better control over claims
From the moment a claim is filed, our customers feel the difference in our approach. With ongoing training, highly experienced senior claims leaders, and a culture that promotes proactive decision making, our claims teams are empowered to deliver better outcomes.
And because they work closely with the underwriters who develop our DCPL solutions, these seasoned claims professionals are better equipped to resolve claims efficiently, limit litigation, and control costs.
With our DCPL solutions, customers can benefit from:
- Dedicated claims teams with in-depth experience investigating, evaluating, and resolving DCPL claims
- Flexibility to select legal counsel from our approved roster of attorneys
- Risk–management services
- Contract reviews
This website is intended to be informational. Descriptions are provided only as a summary outline of the products and services available and are not intended to be comprehensive and do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation. The products and services described may not be available in all states or jurisdictions. See your policy, service contract, or program documentation for actual terms, conditions, and exclusions. Any inquiries regarding the subject matter set forth herein should be directed through licensed insurance professionals.
Coverage and insurance are provided and underwritten by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company or its affiliates or subsidiaries. When we offer insurance products, we will state clearly which insurer will underwrite the policy. Some policies may be placed with a surplus lines insurer. Surplus lines insurers generally do not participate in state guaranty funds and coverage may only be obtained through duly licensed surplus lines brokers.